As part of my research about cycling, I have dusted down my own bike and hit the streets on two wheels once more, dodging cars and lorries Monday to Friday along the Victoria Embankment, and swerving past errant dogs and children in Richmond Park at the weekend.
I have also been reading about an amazing journey around the world by bike, undertaken by the inspirational Al Humphreys. I really enjoyed his two books about his trip: The Mood of Future Joys and Thunder and Sunshine. They gave me incredible wanderlust, whilst simultaneously reinforcing my conviction that I personally could never, ever achieve this feat.
So, based on both my practical and theoretical research, I believe I have come up with some answers about boys and bikes.
THE SHORT ANSWER:
It’s fun! Cycling is really, really fun, even when you are risking your life in London traffic.
It’s also about the journey, not the destination. Unlike travelling by tube, for example, commuting by bike gives you the benefit of burning calories, fresh(-ish) air, views of the sunrise/set over the river… and a sense of achievement when you overtake cyclists going more slowly than you. And of course the mental time and space to think freely (whilst simultaneously remaining hyper-alert for motorists about to cut you up obviously).
I have also learnt that all this is not boy-specific.
But to become a true cycling fan I need to overcome my fear of
a) mending punctures
b) pumping up the tyres
c) cleaning my bike and getting covered in black oily yuck.
So I think I still have a way to go.
As for boys and going walkabout: this requires further thought. Jon Krakauer’s Into The Wild is a somewhat shocking but nevertheless gripping glimpse into this subject. Both sympathetic and critical, it is extremely thought-provoking. Hmm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment